Friday, November 12, 2021

 Les Crieries de Paris
a 13th-century poem by
Guillaume de la Villeneuve
Translated into English
using Google Translate (sorry)


Advertising has always fascinated me. Like any art form, it allows us to explore history serving as an insight into the way people thought. In Europe, prior to the advent of the printing press, there were three types of advertisements. Trademarks (seals and marks), like modern-day icons and logos. Then there were signboards, often using only an image as few people could read, like a boot, a hat or a horseshoe. Finally, there were street criers. These hawkers were like auctioneers and developed street patter customized to their wares. They were unique like bird calls. As in today's farmers' markets, fruits, vegetables and other goods were sold in the streets from the backs of carts or wheelbarrows. Not a lot of hollering going on today though. We have signs. We can read. A fascinating glimpse into this aspect of daily life in the Middle Ages is documented in "Les Crieries de Paris" (The Street Criers of Paris), a 13th-century poem by Guillaume de la Villeneuve. I translated it into English using Google Translate, so I'm sorry, but you'll get the gist of it.


The Cries of Paris.

1. A new said offers us here

2. Guillaume de la Villeneuve

3. since poverty governs him.

4. I will tell you how

5. and in what way behave

6. those who have food to sell

7. and who think they will benefit from it,

8. if they won't stop screaming

9. through Paris until nightfall.

10. Don't think it tires them out

11. for they will never cease.

12. Listen to what is shouted at daybreak:

13. ”Lords, go to the baths

14. and in the ovens without delay,

15. the baths are hot, I'm not lying! ”

16. Then after you will hear ringing

17. those who cry fresh herrings.

18. ”At the tide, the others cry,

19. with brine and white herring, freshly salted,

20. I would like to sell my herrings. ”

21. You will hear the living scream

22. and also the sea alettes;

23. goslings, pigeons and salted meat,

24. fresh meat well prepared

25. and plenty of garlic sauce.

26. "Here honey, may God keep you healthy!"

27. And then after the hot mashed peas

28. and the hot beans on the side;

29. aux and onions with a strong smell,

30. then after the watercress,

31. the deer, purslane at the same time;

32. and after little leeks,

33. and immediately the fresh lettuce;

34. "Here is the good Orleans watercress!"

35. The other shouts next to it:

36. "I have some good, fresh and salted whiting;

37. I have the needle for the old iron,

38. you can get it cheap over here.

39. Water for bread, if you want it, take it.

40. I have good Champagne cheese,

41. and there is also Brie cheese.

42. Fresh butter, I don't forget.

43. And there is oatmeal and wheat

44. well ground and finely.

45. Ground flour, flour!

46. Milk, gossip, over here next door! ”

47. There is whale fat, ripe peaches,

48. Caillaux pears and fresh walnuts.

49. "First I have red apples

50. and the white calville of Auvergne. ”

51. “Brooms!” As I hear it.

52. One shouts: "For whoever wants it, tan!"

53. And the other: "The good log,

54. for two oboli, I give it to you ”.

55. There is walnut oil, walnuts.

56. Vinegar which is good and beautiful.

57. Mustard vinegar.

58. God! Ain't there no dregs here?

59. "I have cherries and verjuice.

60. Here perry, come here. ”

61. Here there are eggs, here leeks.

62. There are hot pies, hotcakes.

63. Here there is Bondies fish,

64. warm oversights reinforced,

65. hot pancakes, scalds,

66. Rissoles; over here, goods to play dice.

67. Coats and screeds that we sell,

68. where clerics are often deceived.

69. ”I would mend well coats and surcoats

70. and I would repair the vats.

71. I know how to remake hutches and benches.

72. I know very well what I can do.

73. I have clay strewn

74. Fresh grass, old breeches,

75. Old shoes. ” And evening and morning:

76. ”Bread for the brothers of Saint-Jacques!

77. Bread for God among the Friars Minor-

78. I consider them to be good seekers-

79. For the brothers of Saint Augustine! ”

80. These go, crying in the morning:

81. ”Bread for the Sachets, bread for the Barrés,

82. For the poor imprisoned prisoners;

83. For those of the Val des Ecoliers! ”

84. One in front, the other behind,

85. They ask for the brothers of the Magpies.

86. And the Crusaders don't expect them,

87. They take great pains to shout: “Bread!”

88. Like the blind, full of breath,

89. "Bread for those of the Rotten Field!"

90. Which many times, you know, I do not care.

91. You Will Hear the Good Children

92. Shout: “Bread!”; I don't want to forget them.

93. The Daughters of God know how to say:

94. ”Bread, for Jesus Our Lord!

95. Here, bread in the name of God, for the Sachesses!

96. The press is great in the streets,

97. I'm telling you, little people.

98. You will hear shouting through the streets:

99. ”Beggar! God, who is calling me?

100. Come here, empty this bowl,

101. Approach then, earn money! ”

102. I will make the tin pots shine,

103. I will fix the hanaps.

104. “Pepper, for what money you have”.

105. Here, the hasty pears!

106. I have nuts at will,

107. Fresh rush that smells very good,

108. Over here the exotic merchandise.

109. Christmas! Xmas! With very loud cries:

110. "I pour brass, I pour it."

111. The one who shouts presents himself well:

112. "Who sells old iron, bring it!"

113. The other says more news:

114. ”Who sells old pots and old stoves?”

115. The other shouts with all his might:

116. ”Who has a coat or a pelisse,

117. Let him bring it to me to mend! "

118. The other shouts his services:

119. ”Cotton candle, candle,

120. Who shines brighter than any star! "

121. Sometimes it seems to me

122. The ban on King Louis is shouted.

123. We are also shouting in many places

124. Good strong wine at thirty-two deniers,

125. Sixteen, twelve, six, eight.

126. The criers make a loud noise.

127. You will hear shouting: “Who has to grind?

128. I bring good nuts.

129. I don't forget the hot sides.

130. I have chestnuts from Lombardy,

131. Figs of Malta, endless.

132. I have ultramarine grapes, grapes.

133. I have poreas, and I also have turnips.

134. I have brand new peas in pods. "

135. The other shouts: "New beans!"

136. And he measures them with a bowl.

137. August anise with the scent of balm!

138. The other shouts: “Thatch! I have thatch!

139. I have rush prepared to put in lamps,

140. Good Etampes shallots.

141. I have soap from beyond the sea, soap.

142. We have pears from Saint-Rieul. ”

143. The other shouts without delay:

144. "I offer combs to make nets!"

145. When there is death of a man or a woman,

146. You will hear shouting: “Pray for his soul”,

147. Bells ringing through the streets.

148. You will hear other little people

149. Cry out the pears of anguish.

150. The other: "Red apples for who needs them!"

151. They shout: “Rosehips for bread,

152. Grain verjuice for the garlic sauce! "

153. One, buds; the other, tendrils,

154. Ripe dogwoods, dogwoods.

155. There are alises of alisier;

156. There are rose hips here.

157. I sell hedge sloes.

158. I give birdies for bread.

159. There are mats and napkins.

160. We want to sell wooden hoops.

161. The other shouts: “Roasted cakes,

162. I bring them all well done;

163. Hot pies and simeneaux! ”

164. The other shouts, "Hats, hats!"

165. You will hear shouting, “Bean cakes,

166. Calcoal for a penny a bag!

167. I have ripe medlars to sell! "

168. In the evening you will hear without further delay,

169. Aloud without delaying:

170. God, the merchant of forgetfulness who calls.

171. When he has a problem anywhere,

172. He doesn't mind shouting,

173. He shouts near the door where he has been:

174. "Help, God of Majesty!

175. Under what a bad omen I was born!

176. How poorly provided I am! ”

177. And he's screaming a lot of other things

178. Which I don't know how to tell you.

179. There is so much food for sale,

180. That I can't help but spend,

181. Because if I had great wealth

182. And that I want to have from everyone

183. A little of his merchandise,

184. They would be very short-lived.

185. I put in what little I had,

186. As long as poverty torments me.

187. After I bet my dress:

188. The temptation stripped me.

189. I don't know what to become

190. Neither what path I could pursue.

191. Fortune put me in his wheel,

192. Everyone laughs at me and makes faces at me.

193. I will therefore since I am in trouble,

194. Arrow of the best wood I can get.

195. End of the Crieries de Paris.

Detail from The Capture of Pontoise, Vigils of Charles VII, BNF Fr. 5054, Fol. 91v, 1484

Detail from Presentation Scene, Chroniques et Conquetes de Charlemagne (Brussels, Bibliothèque Royale 9066), 1460

Detail from Fols. 42r, Life of St. Denis, BNF Fr. 2092, 1317

Detail from The Fair at Lendit in the Pontifical de Sens (BNF Latin 962, fol. 264r), 14th century

No comments:

Post a Comment