Saturday, March 20, 2010

CH 1: First Meeting with Turtledy Durdledy


One sunny summer day my brother and I went fishing down on Johnson's Branch. To our great surprise, we saw this little fellow just sitting there throwing rocks into the creek. We sat down beside him.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

He looked up and aswered, "Nothing, just sitting here." Then it all started.

"Why are you here?" I asked.

"I live here. I am a turtle. I dress this way, because my mother wants me to be great someday."

I said, "What is your name?"

"Turtledy Durdledy," he said.

So we pulled off our shoes and went wading in the creek and played all over the creek banks and into the cow pasture. We had the best time.

It was getting late, so my brother and I went home.

The next day we rushed off to see our new friend. Sure enough, there he was waiting for us, not on the creek bank but hanging on the gate that lead to the pasture. Turtledy Durdledy decided he wanted to go to our house to play, so I took one of his little hands and my brother held the other. Away we went up the hill to our house.

We played till it was dark and finally Turtledy Durdledy went home.

Next day, he came up the hill by himself. He had decided not to stop at our house, but to go instead to town all by himself. Turtledy Durdledy looked in all the stores and stayed till it was dark. Then as he was going up the hill to go back home, who does he see - his mother coming down the hill. She had a real long peach tree switch. She was real mad with Turtledy Durdledy, but she didn't whip him, as he said:

"Mama, please forgive me. I'll never run off again."

So together they walked back to Johnson's Branch and home.

No comments:

Post a Comment